Little Feet - Long Walk

Hello and welcome to my blog. This blog is the journey of our family after Millie, our 2 year old daughter, was discovered to have a large brain tumour. The tumour was caused by an aggresive cancer named anaplastic ependymoma. Please feel free to read as much as you want and spread the word. If you want to know more details about the diagnosis then it is best to start at "The beginning ... " which was written in May 2011. But you are welcome to follow us from today. I have created pages that summarise the events leading up to the start of going to Florida for proton radiotherapy at the beginning of June 2011, about 8 weeks after diagnosis.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Why I Blog

I have just spent the evening sorting lots of other stuff out - life still goes on unfortunately, even if we do feel like we are becoming more and more detached from it. I don't have time to do my normal blog but I wanted to write a little bit about why I write a blog. It has been the topic of a few conversations today and is on my mind.

I originally started blogging because we kept being asked how Millie was and what was going on. After repeating myself a few times every day I decided that I needed to be able to direct people to somewhere that had all the information for them. Writing the blog means that everyone and anyone can now get the latest and the history, with nothing missing.

Since being in Florida my blogs have become edited versions of the emails I write to my mother every night. I am very close to my mother and
would be ringing her up every day if we were at home. The emails I write are a poor substitute for those phone calls but they work. However, over the past few days I have come to realise that writing the emails and blogging has become quite therapeutic. We are going through a tough time. We haven't had much time to take in what is happening to us. There are very few people that truly understand what we are going through. Some of those people are staying here and we all support each other. But blogging (or writing to my mother) is my way of going over the days events and getting it off my chest. I then sleep better. The other day when we lost the internet connection and I didn't write it all down I had real troubles keeping it together the next day.


There is another hidden benefit to blogging. Your support. I get to see how many people are reading my blog and that, in a strange way, helps to lift my heart because I know you all care. I don't know who you all are but that doesn't matter I am just grateful that you care and want to know what is happening to Millie. However, it is also terrifying that I have such a large audience.

So, Thank You for reading my latest blog. Thank you for your thoughts and support. It does mean an awful lot to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment